Hey everyone! One of the things I’ve been wanting to do for a while (since I was in Salamanca!) was to do a quick post on one of the meals that I make most often in Spain. Unfortunately I only tend to make this in Spain because of the main ingredient that you can’t buy in the UK, however I feel like it can be substituted. As of yet, there is no real name for this meal but if anyone has any suggestions then do feel free to let me know.
This is a really quick and simple meal to make and it contains so many fresh vegetables that it is a great meal to make if you’re trying to improve your diet (ie more veg less pizzas). Also because it is so quick, you don’t have to start preparing in advance of wanting to eat it.
- 2 or 3 rashers of bacon
- 1/4 of a pepper, any colour but I prefer red
- 1/4 aubergine
- 1/2 onion
- some mushrooms, this is personal choice
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 carton of tomato frito
- 1tsp green pesto
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of parsley with garlic
- cheese, any variety
- Start with putting some salt into the bottom of a saucepan, adding the amount of pasta you want and then filling the pan with water.
- Put the saucepan on the hob/stove and set to the highest setting needed to warm up the water and start cooking the pasta.
- Take a small pan, similar to a wok or frying pan, and add a small amount of oil to it. Then place on another ring and turn the setting to one to heat the oil.
- Start by peeling and dicing your onion. It doesn’t need to be diced too finely but I prefer my pieces of onion to be small. After then add to the pan with oil.
- Next begin to cut and de-seed the pepper. I like to have my pepper cut into strip rather than chunks, but again this is personal preference. Once this is done add it to the onion.
- This step is optional for people who don’t like mushrooms! Take a handful of mushrooms from the packet you’ve bought and cut them up into small pieces, or smaller than they were. They don’t have to be a specific size. Then add these to the pepper and onion. Don’t forget to stir the ingredients to make sure they aren’t sticking to the pan.
- Next take the rashers of bacon and cut them into strips. Then separate and add to the pan.
- Whilst following the previous steps make sure to stir the pasta to stop it from being stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir the bacon, pepper, mushrooms and onions making sure that the bacon has been cooked thoroughly.
- Now take the 5 cherry tomatoes and cut them into quarters before adding them to the mix. Give these a quick stir making sure that the heat doesn’t make them stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat down and add the tomato frito to the mix. Stir so that it has coated everything and then add the oregano and parsley to the mix.
- Now check to see if the pasta is cooked. If it is, take it off the heat and emptied the contents into a colander to drain.
- Whilst waiting for the pasta to drain, add the teaspoon of pesto and mix into the sauce.
- Turn the heat off the pan and add the pasta to the mix making sure that it is mixed in well.
- Serve in a bowl plate and finish with a little cheese on top. (As pictured to the right and underneath)
|The finished meal|