Last Days’ Stress

I’m home. That feels so weird to say. I’m back from Spain, and I’ve finished another “year” living on the Continent (how posh does that sound?!) It has been a great time, and although I don’t think I could ever really be a teacher, I’m glad that I’ve had the experience. I’ve made some great friends and created so many memories that I will never forget! (I think getting a tattoo will help me to remember as well!)

But for some reason something always goes wrong for me when I’m travelling. I’m not even joking, I think I might be slightly cursed with how often things go wrong! So I shouldn’t really be surprised by what has happened over the last few days. For those who follow my twitter then you are likely to have seen messages of me just freaking out and stressing but I didn’t go into too much detail. So here goes. I’m going to start with Saturday because, although it doesn’t seem overtly relevant, I think it is the main reason that I was unable to deal with the problems I was facing in a more controlled manner.

Saturday afternoon, I went for a jog and came back home to find I’d been bitten by a mosquito (I knew it was a mosquito as it had already swelled to a stupid size) so I was a bit annoyed but ignored it until I saw the mosquito and killed, which was probably the best reaction. I just ignored the bite like I normally do as I can normally manage to cope with the itching I just have to be careful not to scratch it. But as it was my last weekend in Madrid I went out with my friends and the itchy seemed to be worse than normal, and when I got home I found out that my leg had swollen…..

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon and I wake up, try to stand to go to the bathroom and my leg is so swollen it hurts to stand. I sent my mum a WhatsApp message to ask her what sort of thing I should use to try and make it better as people in my family tend to have bad reactions to insect bites and I wanted to check before I tried to find something to buy. The only problem I had was that it was Sunday and you can only buy medicines in pharmacies in Spain and they tend to be closed on a Sunday but my mum managed to find one close to me to go to. And it was during this brief trip out of my house that the problems really started to kick in.

On my way back to my flat, I received a text message from Ryanair saying that I had been sent an email about my flight. I found that weird because I never opt in for the text message service because I don’t need it. So I limped as fast as I could to the metro station to get back home as soon as I could to check out what it was. The email was informing me that because of strikes that were happening at Madrid I wouldn’t be able to take any checked luggage on the flight with me….. 31 hours before a flight they let people know. So obviously I was upset, and I admit I did just sit and cry for a bit because I felt so overwhelmed. I’m going to blame the mosquito bite for the main part of the overwhelmed feeling as I think otherwise I would taken it in my stride a lot better!

For those who are curious, I was able to sort something out with my luggage, and my lovely friend looked after my suitcase for me until Tuesday when it was picked up and now I have to wait a few days for it to arrive home. Not the most ideal situation but it should definitely work out for me! And hopefully I will be able to check it’s tracking soon as well.

I wish I could say that was the end of my stress for the weekend, but it wasn’t. At this point I was starting to think that my life was some sort of huge joke and that someone would jump out at me be like “haha we got you good!” That, I could have coped with. But going onto the airport website and my flight not being listed is something that I couldn’t cope with. I ended up having to phone Ryanair (with a Spanish number) and try and find out if the flight was still scheduled. I’m not sure if it was some sort of translation issue with my Spanish but I ended up with just being given the time of the flight so I took that as the flight would be going ahead after all.

It doesn’t even end there! Nope there was still more things to just add to the hellish 36 hours I had already had to endure. I got to the airport early as instead of taking on checked luggage Ryanair was allowing each passenger to take 2 pieces of normal sized hand luggage. Yep, you read right TWO pieces! They only ever have space for 90 suitcases to go into the overhead lockers so I didn’t want to have to worry about having my suitcase turned down. So what with being at the boarding gate for around quarter past 7 I thought I’d be fine. But then the flight was delayed. 30 minutes before we were supposed to board, our flight was delayed by an hour. 5 minutes later we were moved to a different gate. Then, an hour later we were moved back to out original gate. Having to run around the airport so much has left me not needing to do much exercise and the day after the flight my shoulders were in so much pain from running with 20 kilos of weight on them.

Luckily, that was the end to my problems and the last couple of days at home have been wonderful and I’m starting to feel like all my stress is going away! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn’t happen to me again at any point in the future.

Hasta la fuego

2 Replies to “Last Days’ Stress”

  1. Oh bless your heart! It sounds like a nightmare and I also probably would have started crying. Travelling is such an amazing thing but airports are nothing but stress!

    Glad you're home and feeling better though. Is your bite any better?

    Fadulous Blog

  2. It was horrendous, I'm not going to lie! Was so glad to finally get home early Tuesday morning. I love travelling but I really dislike strikes! The bite is a lot better now, and it's nearly gone! Which makes me really happy!

    Lauren 🙂 x

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.